Even though you may think someone who is drunk is “sleeping it off,” alcohol levels in the blood can continue to rise. High levels of alcohol can cause alcohol poisoning which can affect breathing, heart rate and the gag reflex. If the gag reflex is impaired, a person can choke on vomit or accidentally inhale it into the lungs, with a risk of causing coma and even death.
Signs of alcohol poisoning include:
· Slow breathing, or less than eight breaths a minute
· Irregular breathing, or a gap of more than 10 seconds between breaths
· [el1] Blue-tinged skin or pale skin
· Confusion or stupor
· Low body temperature, also called hypothermia
· Unconcious and can't be awakened.
If you suspect someone has alcohol poisoning, call 911 immediately. If someone who was binge drinking is conscious but confused or incoherent call poison control. Never leave an unconscious person alone
Here's a video you can show your kids: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E_T_NQjJDo